Total Remodel

This was a total interior remodel all the way down to the drywall. This house was over 40 years old and sunk two or three times from hurricanes. It is an above ground house and was warped badly. I was a little scared of it when I first looked at it. However, this was a friend of mines mother in a bad situation and on a tight budget. So, I had to step up and help her out.

First I am going to show you some pics of the completed project, then I will walk you through the process.

Starting in the dining room

IMG_1128 IMG_1130 

IMG_1131 IMG_1127

Next the Kitchen

IMG_1146 IMG_1147

IMG_1148 IMG_1144


Living Room

IMG_1166 IMG_1149

IMG_1150 IMG_1151


IMG_1152 IMG_2856


IMG_1163 IMG_1161

IMG_1153 IMG_1162

IMG_1105 IMG_1107



IMG_1158 IMG_1143

IMG_1139 IMG_1141

IMG_1140 IMG_1138


Now, I am going to walk you through the whole process with more pictures. I don’t have very many pictures from the very early stages of this because my phone broke. Also, all pics were taken with an iPhone so please excuse the quality of them.

The first thing that we did here was tear out the kitchen and dining room floor. Then we sanded down the living room, hall way, and bedroom floors. These floors were over 40 years old and were already redone once. They were in rough shape but the home owner wanted to save them because she did not have the money to replace them. So away we went with the drum sander and got the bulk of the old stain up.

IMG_2850 IMG_2852

We then covered the floors with paper so that we could paint the house. The reason we used the drum sander before painting was because it was very messy. We had to sand the floor a lot because it was last stained dark and the home owner wanted them a semigloss cherry look. So, after cleaning the dust cloud we had, we patched all the holes in the drywall. When this dried, we primed then painted all the walls and ceilings. Sorry, these pictures got lost when my phone broke, but you will be able to see the paint job in some of the following pictures.

Following the paint, we hung wooden beadboard sheets on the kitchen ceiling.

IMG_0475 IMG_0473

Once we got it hung, we went back and puttied all screw holes and sanded all the seams.

IMG_0474 IMG_0477

IMG_2861 IMG_2862

Finally, we painted it.


From there, we hung and painted the crown molding and door casings.

IMG_2886 IMG_2885

IMG_2884 IMG_2883

IMG_2882 IMG_2881

IMG_2880 IMG_2878

IMG_2875 IMG_2874

IMG_2873 IMG_2871

Next, we cased in all the windows.

IMG_2865 IMG_2866

IMG_2867 IMG_2868

IMG_2869 IMG_2870

When we finished this, we painted all the doors and moved on to the floors.


We began the floors by laying hardy board in the dining room, kitchen, and bathroom floors.

IMG_2887 IMG_2888

IMG_2889 IMG_2890

IMG_2891 IMG_2892

Then, we cleaned the floors and got all the dust up then laid the tile. I really liked how the tile came out because they were big 18”x18” and we ran them on a diagonal.

IMG_2894 IMG_2897

IMG_0733 IMG_0732

IMG_1158 IMG_1140

When we finished the ceramic, we uncovered the wood floors in the living room and bedrooms, did a final sand, stained and polyurethaned them with semi-gloss clear coat.

IMG_2855 IMG_2853

IMG_1168 IMG_2854

We also laid a new wooden floor in the master bedroom, but unfortunately I can’t seem to find any of the pictures of the master bedroom.

Now it was time to lay the baseboards. Here we built a three piece baseboard consisting of a 1”x8”, base cap, and toe board.

IMG_1113 IMG_1108

IMG_1109 IMG_1110

IMG_1132 IMG_1133
















Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s